[BIOSAL] question about Thorium build options

George K. Thiruvathukal gkt at cs.luc.edu
Sat Nov 1 17:40:58 CDT 2014

This is probably for Seb.

I have a crazy question to ask that probably has an answer of "no", but
I'll ask anyway. Is it possible to build Thorium without MPI. That is, is
there a way to compile/run Thorium for use on a standalone system (ok, my
Linux box) and have the workers run as processes and all communication be
done using shared memory (or Unix sockets)? As an experiment, I was trying
to run make CC=gcc, but I quickly ran into the MPI dependency when trying
to build the transport, which presumably is hard-wired into the build
process at the moment.

In case you are wondering, I am looking at a couple of C IDEs (notably
CodeLite, Eclipse CDT, and NetBeans). None of these projects does terribly
well unless the code can compile directly with gcc, clang, and friends. I
will be happy to share more details of why I'm looking into this later, but
it seems like a great productivity enabler for Thorium if we can make it
possible to work with it within an IDE. (There is also the Eclipse Parallel
Tools Project, but I don't want to go down that road until it is absolutely
necessary. It's kind of a heavyweight solution!)

George

George K. Thiruvathukal, PhD
*Professor of Computer Science*, Loyola University Chicago
*Director*, Center for Textual Studies and Digital Humanities
*Guest Faculty*, Argonne National Laboratory, Math and Computer Science
Division
Editor in Chief, Computing in Science and Engineering
<http://www.computer.org/portal/web/computingnow/cise> (IEEE CS/AIP)
(w) gkt.tv (v) 773.829.4872