[Flash-X-users] Please login to MeerCat

Stephen Fickas fickas at cs.uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 31 11:25:55 CDT 2023

To Flash-X contributors:

I'm Steve Fickas, part of the UO-IDEAS team and lead on a tool called the
Pull Request Assistant (PRA). The PRA is part of a site called MeerCat. The
goal of the PRA is to give feedback to those involved with a Pull Request.
At the moment, that includes feedback on Doxygen documentation
requirements, code quality checks and others you might want to to invite
join the PR discussion.

We are about to link the PRA/MeerCat tool to the Flash-X repo. It will
watch for new PRs. When it sees one, it will give a brief comment (in the
PR) on its analysis and a link to the MeerCat site where more information
can be found.

My request is that you go now to https://meercat.cs.uoregon.edu/ and login
using your GitHub account. You should *not* have to register: we have done
that for you. If login fails for you, I would like to know about it. It
means we missed registering you as a contributor.

Once login succeeds, you can close the tab. You have been OAuthed by
MeerCat.

Or you can leave the tab open and surf into a PR and get the PRA's
analysis. From the main Meercat menu at the left:

PR Assistant => Flash-X => View Pull Requests => choose PR you are
interested in.

Off of the main menu, you can also subscribe to a file or folder by
clicking Subscriptions and then choosing the file or folder to watch. You
will get an email when your selection shows up in a new PR.

Several notes on the PRA:

   1. We are *not* checking robodoc documentation, only Doxygen. See the
   unit source/numericalTools/MoL as an exemplar. Jared is working on
   something more instructional on the new Doxygen requirements.
   2. We are using open-source linters for code-quality. We can tailor
   these linters to a point, and in particular, remove warnings that are
   annoying/non-useful. But we need your feedback to do that so you can use
   the thumbs-down button to tell us. Copy and paste any warnings you think we
   can safely remove. The python linter, in particular, needs a lot of
   tailoring and we are working on it.
   3. If you decide to invite someone to join a PR discussion using the
   PRA, they will get an email but not a mention (e.g., @fickas). Up to them
   to decide to opt-in to discussion or not (unlike with a mention that forces
   opt-in).
   4. If you see something that is broken or missing, send me an email and
   we will get on it.

Thanks.

Steve (CS Prof, UofO)